Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Day in Kobe

We have lived here for almost a year, and I still hadn't gotten off the island (Shikoku). I was definitely having island fever, so on our last day off, we woke up early, drove 5 minutes to the port, and hopped on the 4-hour Jumbo Ferry to Kobe, city famous for its beef. Apparently, massages every day and a diet including beer makes for really tasty cows :) I am kicking myself for not taking a picture of the huge 4-story ferry that includes an arcade, ice cream shop, huge tatami room for sleeping, ladies' room (to keep creepy men away), and a TV room with massage chairs (that was playing the Panthers football game, to Fox's extreme joy!).

Here are the kids on the ferry:



Once we got to Kobe, the Kobe Oji Zoo is just 2 train stops away--and kids are free!  Cosette had never been to a big zoo--and it was about time!



These pics are a bit out of order--sorry! Here is Cosette eating curry (Fox was sneaking a picture of her--if she knows her picture is being taken, she does a crazy face).  Both of our kids can eat their weight in Japanese curry, so it is always a safe bet for lunch!


Cash in the petting area, loving on a huge rabbit:




The main attraction at this zoo is the giant panda. China has been loaning some pandas to Japan in an effort to build friendship between the two countries.


In the koala house:


Cosette loving on a guinea pig:


Fox and the kiddos in Amusement Land:

After the zoo, we walked around in the huge outdoor mall, where I found a water bottle that I had been searching for forever. Hmmm...it looks like it is $6.50 in the U.S., and I paid almost $18 here, which was a screaming deal.  Whaaa...oh well, it is helping me get my required 80 ounces of water a day!

We hopped back on the ferry at 8 pm and got back at midnight.  The funny part is that the lights stay on in the ferry's "sleeping room" the entire time, but everyone still managed to sleep (except me--pregnant women on flat tatami floors just doesn't work).
But--it was so good to get off our tiny island for a day, and the kids had so much fun!

4 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

I love the picture of Cosette smiling and the one with Cash holding the bunny! So cute! What a fun trip!

Kelsy said...

Is that Cosette "loving" hee hee, poking. I love ya'll. So nice to get out! I remember how much you would love to just get outa Logan to go to Dambers.

Joanie said...

Yes, Cosette eating her bowl of curry! So cute-her smile so big! Amy, send a recipe/description for exactly what that curry dish is! Is it warm there? we are freezing here! Uh..what is Dambers?

Unknown said...

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! We miss you guys! Looks like a fun day! I love the Koala pic too!