Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We're Alive!

Hi everyone! We haven't posted in a while, but we are alive and safely settled in our new city of Kanonji, Kagawa, Japan. I wish I could post some pictures, but sadly, I have no idea where the cable for my camera is.
Our trip to Japan with 2 toddlers was a great learning experience for us. Mainly, only bring carry-ons that you can carry. 8 carry-ons and various blankies and lovies made going from flight to flight very tricky! Luckily, there was a nice Japanese family on board with kids, too, and they helped us out a ton. They let our kids play with all their gadgets and helped carry our stuff. We are forever grateful! Also, the midnight flight was a good choice--our kids slept several hours!
We are still exploring our city, but we live within easy walking distance of my favorite stores--MaxValu for groceries, Daiso for household and craft stuff, and Shimamura for clothes. Yay! We are also a couple of kilometers away from the beach and a huge sandy park. Our apartment is bordered by the fire station, the high school, city hall, and a new nice library with books for children in English. Double yay!
Most importantly, there is a beautiful cake shop across the street called "The Establishment". It sells cream puffs and tons of French pastries and is lit up in twinkly lights at night, so that is the view from our window.
We are so happy to be back and having an experience this time in a country that is no longer very foreign to us. It makes for a much easier transition, especially with kids. I am patting myself on the back for learning Katakana before we came, which means I can read words like "shampoo" and "soap" on all the various bottles. Now to actually learn the language this time!

5 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Hooray! I'm sending you a letter to you today! I wonder how long it will take! Love you! How do you say that in Katakan?

amberkei said...

Glad you made it safely! It was good to see you for a few minutes over Christmas. Looking forward to hearing of your fun adventures!

Douglas Smith said...

Hi Amy,

Amazing trip!

It's really great that you are close to stores that you're familiar with. Sounds like you're going to have more time to experience the culture etc., now that you have an idea how to survive in Japan.

I'm also looking forward to a vicarious adventure in Japan. :-)

It’s cool that you’ve learned Katakana. I thought Katakana was harder to learn than Hiragana. It should be easy to learn the Hiragana now.

Love from Carpinteria to Kanonji, Doug

Unknown said...

Yay! Glad to hear from you and can't wait to see photos - esp of the bakery (: and hope to talk in person soon! Much love!

Molly said...

Glad you guys made it safely! Sounds like so much fun! If I had the money, I'd fly out there with my kiddos to visit ;)